Monday, January 7, 2013

January 7, 2013: Only Wanna Be With You


Song: “Only Wanna Be with You” by Hootie and the Blowfish from Cracked Rear View


 

 

 

(Picture drawn by Patrick Gleason)

 


ANNA sits anxiously playing with a straw paper in a small booth. The light in the restaurant is dim and there is a small personal candle flickering in the center of the table. As the door opens, she stretches to see who is coming in and spots AQUAMAN. Aquaman is dressed in a dark green suit, an orange shirt, and a silver tie. She quickly smoothes out her simple black dress and arranges her wine glass just so as he spots her and waves.

 

AQUAMAN

I’m not late, am I? I thought we agreed on 7?

 

ANNA (almost apologetically)

I’m always early. My thing, I guess. You are right on time, no worries.

 

AQUAMAN (puffing out his cheeks in relief)

Good. I pride myself on being punctual. Everyone’s always thinking that a man from the sea won’t be on time, but that’s not true.

 

ANNA

I’ve never heard anyone say that.

 

AQUAMAN

Oh…well, people say it. Flash, for one. Says it all the time.

 

ANNA

Well, you’ve proven him wrong today. You were right on time. And dressed dapperly too. Living underwater must be hell on the dry clean only duds, but they look great.

 

AQUAMAN (awkwardly buttoning then re-unbuttoning his coat, smoothing his tie)

It’s not too much?

 

ANNA

Nah, I love a man who loves color.

 

AQUAMAN

Well, I like these colors.

 

ANNA

I know, I’ve seen you in your…action suit? Costume? Uniform? I honestly don’t know what you call it. Anyway, I’ve seen you fighting monsters and such on TV.

 

AQUAMAN (embarrassed)

Oh…

 

ANNA

Aww, you’re blushing. Don’t be embarrassed, you look good in those duds too.

 

AQUAMAN

I do?

 

ANNA

Mmmhmm. Something about a man in scale mail wielding a trident…I tell you what.

 

AQUAMAN

Really?

 

ANNA

Well, no, not really. It’s not like a fetish I have or anything. But you make it work.

 

They lapse into a sort of awkward silence, AQUAMAN still standing.

 

ANNA

So, are you going to sit?

 

AQUAMAN (blushing again)

Oh…gosh…yes. Sorry.

 

He slides into the booth and both sit in silence a bit longer.

 

AQUAMAN (sheepishly)

It’s been…a little while since I’ve had a date.

 

ANNA

Relax. You’re on time and you wore a nice tailored suit in an unconventional color. You’re doing great.

 

AQUAMAN

That’s good. You look great by the way. Very…fetching? Is that something people say on dates?

 

ANNA

Not usually. But we’re us, not just people. I mean, you’re not really a person at all, right? You’re like…a fish kind of thing?

 

AQUAMAN

No, I’m a man.

 

ANNA

Like a fish-man, though.

 

AQUAMAN

No, no. Like a mammal one.

 

ANNA

But you live underwater.

 

AQUAMAN

Most of the time. I also have an apartment in town though.

 

ANNA

Oh! Really? I had no idea? Where?

 

AQUAMAN

Downtown, in the Chamber building.

 

ANNA

Wow, wow! Color me impressed! I couldn’t afford to even look at an apartment there, nevermind rent one.

 

AQUAMAN (sheepish, moving to change the subject)

Yes, well…

 

ANNA

Oh my god, you don’t even rent do you? You own?!

 

AQUAMAN glances away, embarrassed.

 

ANNA

Of course you own. You’re a king. That’s embarrassing. So sorry. Good for you. I’m super jealous but I’m totally not all “death to the rich man” or anything, so don’t worry. I know you, like, work hard and are really altruistic and stuff so…yeah, I’m cool with you having cash. But not in a “buy me stuff so I’ll be your girlfriend” kind of way. So we’re clear.

 

Pause

 

ANNA

Anyway, if you live in water, you can’t be a mammal.

 

AQUAMAN

Dolphins are mammals. They live in water.

 

ANNA

Dolphins are assholes.

 

AQUAMAN (almost choking on his water)

Sorry?!

 

 

 

ANNA

Dolphins. They’re like…the frat guys of the sea, right? They rape and fight and masturbate for pleasure.

 

AQUAMAN

As opposed to masturbating for…?

 

ANNA

I mean, like, publically. And other sea animals don’t behave like that.

 

AQUAMAN

But men do.

 

ANNA

Well, most men are assholes too.

 

AQUAMAN (pausing to consider)

On this, we can agree.

 

ANNA

Which is why it’s good you aren’t a mammal man but some sort of fish guy.

 

AQUAMAN

I’m not a fish guy. If I was a fish, I couldn’t live on land at all. I’m a mammal.

 

ANNA

Who breathes underwater?

 

AQUAMAN

Right.

 

ANNA

No such thing.

 

AQUAMAN

Except for me. And my family.

 

ANNA

Family? Whoa, you aren’t married, are you?

 

AQUAMAN

Not anymore. Mera and I…we don’t work together anymore.

 

ANNA

Kids?

 

AQUAMAN

Yeah, one.

 

ANNA

How old?

 

AQUAMAN

That’s…difficult to explain. Sometimes he’s an adult and—

 

ANNA

Say no more. Man boys. I know allllllllll about them, believe me.

 

AQUAMAN

…ok, let’s go with that.

 

ANNA

I’m kind of surprised.

 

AQUAMAN

Oh?

 

ANNA

Well, you hardly look old enough to have an adult son. You are keeping things tight, Aquaman.

 

AQUAMAN

You can call me Orin, if you don’t mind.

 

ANNA

Orin, it is! You must still see your ex, I imagine.

 

AQUAMAN

We…sort of rule together still.

 

ANNA

Ahh, the work romance gone sour. I’ve been there. I used to work at this used bookstore over in the Hub and me and the head cashier, Phil, we totally were hot and heavy for three, four weeks. Then he dumped me for some barista at the Starbucks across the street. But I was the best bookseller and he was good at his job too so we still ended up getting scheduled together all the time. It totally sucked.

 

AQUAMAN

That’s…not dissimilar, I suppose. Did you and Phil ever work it out?

 

ANNA

Nah, we ended up hooking up one night in the cash room after close and the big boss caught us. We both got fired. Haven’t seen him since. Just as well. We were bad news for each other.

 

AQUAMAN

What do you do for work now?

 

ANNA

I work at a conservation nonprofit. We do ocean stuff, so you know, but not my part. I’m strictly trees and plants. So, Orin, breathe underwater, but you can live on land. You’re an amphibian then, right?

 

AQUAMAN (sighs, to self)

I should have listened to Batman. Jordan’s an idiot. Online dating? Honestly.

 

AQUAMAN (to Anna)

No, no. Just a man.

 

ANNA (waves him off)

Look, it’s cool. Please, don’t worry. I mean, I never saw myself dating an amphibian before, but whatever. I’m open. I’m done the poly thing. I went celibate for a bit. I dated other women in college. But like in a serious way, not in a “let’s make out in front of all the boys at a party and drive them crazy” way.

 

AQUAMAN

That’s…fine. But I’m still a—

 

ANNA (clearly not paying attention)

Actually, now that I think about it, we did make out in front of guys an awful lot. And almost never when it was just the two of us. And absolutely never when we were sober.

 

AQUAMAN, not knowing what to say, sits and plays with his silverware

 

ANNA

Wow…I think I’ve just experienced a revelation about myself.

 

Long pause, clearly lost in her own thoughts. Regroups and remakes eye contact with him.

 

ANNA

Anyway, totally fine with having sex with an amphibian man, especially one as fit and handsome as you.

 

AQUAMAN

Sex?

 

ANNA

Sure. I mean, protected, of course. We aren’t serious or exclusive yet. But life’s for the living, right. Oh wait! Damn! So sorry. You’re like royalty and junk. I bet you totally can’t have sex on the first date. And besides we only have drinks now. I mean, god, totally jumping the gun. Do I have to like best something in combat for a second date? Because I’m not saying I won’t trying, but I’m really more of a cardio girl. I could run or swim away from something. Fighting though…I’m not sure I’d do well.

 

AQUAMAN (laughing a bit)

Relax. No combat required. No rules about who I can sleep with or when. But maybe we should get some dinner first.

 

ANNA

Right, good idea. I’ll need for strength. You look like you could go all night.

 

AQUAMAN cocks his head to the side and smirks in reply.

 

ANNA (blushing)

Shit! Sorry! No filter at all here, apparently. I’m nervous I guess. Anyway, dinner sounds great.

 

AQUAMAN

Good. Let’s do that then.

 

Both pick up their menus and go quiet.

 

ANNA (looking up from her menu, in a small voice)

I’ve just gotta ask, since you’re a super hero and all, what can you do? Like I know swim fast, and really strong, and breathe underwater, and talk to fish. But am I missing anything?

 

AQUAMAN

Hmm…well, we all share common brain structures with fish, so I can affect that. Stimulate to cause it pain.

 

ANNA

Or pleasure?

 

AQUAMAN

I…suppose. Pain and pleasure are very similar, nervous system speaking.

 

ANNA

So, you could like totally just think me off right now?

 

AQUAMAN

I guess so. Never tried, honestly.

 

ANNA

Oh my god! You have to try it now or I won’t be able to focus on anything else all meal. Please?

 

AQUAMAN

I don’t—

 

ANNA

Come on! Just like a quick burst.

 

AQUAMAN (now enjoying her enthusiasm)

Ok, ok. Very quick though

 

He stares at her for a moment. She grips the table hard and gasps slightly, her cheeks going flush.

 

ANNA

Oh, I cannot wait to get you home!

 

AQUAMAN (laughing)

We’ll see. Dinner first, rememeber?

 

ANNA

Right. Yes. Looking at menu now.

 

She does, but only briefly.

 

ANNA

One more super quick question though: who’s the coolest animal in the sea?

 

AQUAMAN (without hesitation)

Manatees. No doubt. Totally chill. Great pranksters.

 

ANNA

Manatees?

 

AQUAMAN

Absolutely.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment