Thursday, March 10, 2011

Writer's Commentary: You Don't Know Me

On Post: You Don’t Know Me
Date: January 5
“You Don’t Know Me” is one of the posts I got the most positive feedback on. People, for whatever reason, really dug it.

They liked the game show backdrop, they liked Hannah’s tone of voice, and some got a kick out of the Tom Cruise reference. Which, I assume, is because they too recognize that Tom Cruise is dreamy, not because they appreciated the reference ironically. Remember: Tom Cruise is a genius and everything he does is brilliant.
Oddly enough, no one mentioned the Humpty Dance reference which is the one I was really proud of.

For my part, I too liked it quite a bit. From a writer’s standpoint, it allowed me to write a third person story that, really, is more of a first person one. The whole entry is informed and shaped by Hannah’s tone of voice. You get a great idea who she is from just the tone alone. And yet, it is third person. That may not be interesting or noteworthy from a reader’s standpoint, but from a writer’s, it was fun to make that work.
If Hollywood is listening, I would totally host a show called “Spouse Joust.” Despite Hannah’s protestations, I think that’s a BRILLIANT name.
Just because the Project has ended doesn't mean I still don't value your feedback. Feel free to let me know on Twitter (@UnGajje) or drop me a note at tim[dot]g[dot]stevens[at]gmail[dot]com or on Facebook. If you see anything you like, I am all over the net too, so please check out my other works at Marvel, Complaint of the Week at the Living Room Times, and New Paris Press (which is now up and running) or my various 140 character missives on that Twitter account.

No comments:

Post a Comment