Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Writer's Commentary: Oh My God


On Post: Oh My God
Date: January 4
Nothing is more panic inducing that achieving exactly what you want and quickly realizing you have no idea what to do with it. It was the first thing I thought of when I heard the song.
At first, I tried taking  the “I’ve never been so far away from home” line literally and went in the direction of a kid at sleepaway camp.
I still like the idea of it, but that idea led to me looking at my screen for several minutes without writing a word. So let it go. When I did that, this idea, the young man in the corner office, came together almost immediately. I think it was one of my fastest entries despite being one of the longest as well. It just made sense to me and I heard the Twenty-Something-Year-Old Man’s voice right off the bat.
Confession: I couldn’t resist my own comic lover background. So there is a Spider-Man reference very early in the piece. It is an obscure one and thus you will prove your nerd credentials if you can pick it out. You won’t win anything. Except a deep sense of self-shame, I suppose.
I also got to use the phrase “halo effect,” one of my favorite concepts from psychology. Mostly because I can remember it off the top of my head. It’s the same reason I love to write about “objective correlative” in English class.

Just because the Project has ended doesn't mean I still don't value your feedback. Feel free to let me know on Twitter (@UnGajje) or drop me a note at tim[dot]g[dot]stevens[at]gmail[dot]com or on Facebook. If you see anything you like, I am all over the net too, so please check out my other works at Marvel, Complaint of the Week at the Living Room Times, and New Paris Press (which is now up and running) or my various 140 character missives on that Twitter account.

No comments:

Post a Comment