Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Writer's Commentary: There's A Good Reason These Tables Are Numbered Honey, You Just Haven't Thought Of It Yet

On Post: There's A Good Reason These Tables Are Numbered Honey, You Just Haven't Thought Of It Yet
Date: January 243
It should be noted that this and “But It’s Better If You Do” are the only two entries the entire Project that were inspired by songs off the same album. I haven’t calculated the probability of that, but I’m thinking it is pretty remote, given the sheer volume of music I own. It is also the proud owner of the longest title of the Project and probably second to Fiona Apple’s sophomore album as the longest title of all time.
Anyway, on to more important things.
This entry could’ve been very different. Be thankful that I am dedicated to 1.) keeping things fresh and b.) being a decent fella.

This entry is essentially organized entirely around the lyric, “Haven’t you heard that I’m the new cancer?” I mean, with a lyric like that, how could it not be. But I certainly had no intent of doing a story about a new disease laying claim to being the “new cancer,” so I focused more on the whole Zodiac sign Cancer. But this was not my first idea.
See, in early January, the Zodiac was altered—by those who do that sort of thing, I suppose—to add a new sign, increasing their ranks from 12 to 13. In response, everyone was making jokes about the Zodiac, their signs changing, their personality having to change, etc etc. It was amusing. Thus, when I thought Zodiac, that’s where my mind went first. I don’t recall exactly what I was contemplating but I think it had to do with someone going through a crisis of identity because of the sign being changed. Bruise black humor stuff.
I talked myself out of it though because, in part, that had happened about a week to two weeks before. The joke was old by that point and it felt a little stale to build an entry around that. The second reason was one of the people I follow on Twitter, blogger extraordinaire @Ragnell, positively took me and the rest of Twitter to school on the Zodiacs place in Wicca (or possibly Paganism…I confess, I do not recall). It turns out to those of that faith the Zodiac is not about newspaper horoscopes, but much much more serious and, arguably, realistic ideas. As I try to be a religiously tolerant guy, I felt bad being yet another fella who mocked the Zodiac and thus might be mocking Wicca (or Paganism).
Thus, super villains. Any comic fan will tell you that one of the most oft-indulged in tropes in super villainy, across companies, are villain groups organized around the Zodiac symbols. So, naturally, as a comic fan my mind went there. But I was still dedicated to not being too comic book-y so I made it into an interpersonal locker room drama centering around the newest Cancer and a guy who was pretty displeased not to get the job.
For those in power, I would totally right a book, TV, or comic series in which a super villain team engages in petty arguments, gossip, and silliness in the locker room between jobs. I know I’d be like one of eight people who would care to take in that kind of entertainment, but I’d be willing to work for scale. So, you know, let me know if you are interested.
Just because the Project has ended doesn't mean I still don't value your feedback. Feel free to let me know on Twitter (@UnGajje) or drop me a note at tim[dot]g[dot]stevens[at]gmail[dot]com or on Facebook. If you see anything you like, I am all over the net too, so please check out my other works at Marvel, Complaint of the Week at the Living Room Times, and New Paris Press (which is now up and running) or my various 140 character missives on that Twitter account.

No comments:

Post a Comment