Thursday, January 19, 2012

January 19, 2012: Numb

Letter: U
CD Number: 7
Track Number: 23

Song: “Numb” by U2 from Zoopora



The Rules, A selection
(Picture taken from http://www.donteatthepaste.com/2011/07/alaska-i-love-living-here-photos.html)

Claire and Bobby are looking up at a poster near the entrance of a cinder blocked building.

CLAIRE (whistles)
Wow…that’s…a lot.

BOBBY (rocking back and forth from his heels to the balls of his feet)
Sure is.

CLAIRE
Don’t you think it’s a lot?

BOBBY
I’m agreeing. It’s a lot.

CLAIRE
Maybe…too much?

BOBBY
I don’t know. If they are there, I assume there’s a reason.

CLAIRE
You think?

BOBBY
Well, if not, it’s an awful lot of rules for no reason.

CLAIRE
Right. Like a ton!

BOBBY
Yup.

CLAIRE
I think some of them might even contradict each other.

BOBBY
Really? I don’t see that.

CLAIRE (annoyed)
I’m not like guaranteeing it or anything. I’m just saying I think so.

BOBBY
Sure, sure. I’m just saying if there is, I haven’t found any contradictions.

CLAIRE
Ok. But…there’s so much, you might miss it.

BOBBY (shrugging)
Maybe.

CLAIRE
And some of these…can they enforce these? I mean, how would they even know?

BOBBY
Which ones are you worried about?

CLAIRE
All of them, really.

BOBBY (sighs)
I mean, which do you think they can’t enforce?

CLAIRE
I don’t know.  “Don’t try.” “Don’t theorize.” “Don’t leak.” What would that one even mean?

Anyway, I could do this all day.

BOBBY
Please don’t.

CLAIRE
You asked.

BOBBY
I am all too aware of that. Should we just go somewhere else then?

CLAIRE
Well…like you said, they wouldn’t put them up without reason, right? I’m sure they are necessary.

Long pause

CLAIRE
Just an awful lot of them, you know?

BOBBY
Yup. Definitely a lot of rules. A whole lot.

They glance at each other, shrug, and head inside.

 
Reach out and touch me at tim.g.stevens@gmail.com or @ungajje on the Twitter. Let me know what you love and what you hate. And please, do spread the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment